Lurch

Default M akita or RYOBI

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 12:49:37 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "IMM"
strung together this:

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 11:44:51 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Andy Hall
strung together this:

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:54:19 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

But is it worth spending £40 on a repair on 5 years old tool costing

£6-70?
I would rather buy a new one, and the quality, performance, etc will
probably be better then.

Probably not. Generally, Makita spares for the typical consumables
are not that expensive and repair oneself is easy enough. I think
that £20-30 worth of spares for a £150 tool is worthwhile. In
practice, though, with Makita stuff the longevity and robustness is
such that repair is not a big issue anyway.

I've just had 2 Makita drills repaired. An ageing HR2410 which had new
seals, chuck bearings and a general service. Total cost was £12. The
other was a 8443D, a new motor, bearings and general service was just
short of £35.

Was that inc labour? £35?

All including labour, vat, materials. All in prices quoted.

A good decent drill/driver can be had now for
£50-60 inc 2 or 3 year guarantees.

My Makita battery drill was £235, I've seen them for £200 recently.
The £50-60 drills won't do what my Makita can.

The total cost of the two drills was about £370.

Which will be cheaper now, and the current equiv will most liklely be a far,
far less than £370. Battery drill prices have tumbled along with SDS's.

Still about £250-300 though for like for like drills.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.