IMM

Default M akita or RYOBI

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:54:19 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

But is it worth spending £40 on a repair on 5 years old tool costing

£6-70?
I would rather buy a new one, and the quality, performance, etc will
probably be better then.

Probably not. Generally, Makita spares for the typical consumables
are not that expensive and repair oneself is easy enough. I think
that £20-30 worth of spares for a £150 tool is worthwhile. In
practice, though, with Makita stuff the longevity and robustness is
such that repair is not a big issue anyway.

It is a big issue when used for what it is intended; heavy every day
professional use. When for DIY they should last, but the price then become
unacceptable for light use.

A more useful comparison is to compare tools in the same voltage class
- i.e. compare the Ryobi 12v product with the Makita one and decide
whether the extra quality and service of the Makita justify themselves
to you for your application.

Yes, you must compare like with like.

From my own experience, there's no
contest and I think that the Makita products are worth the extra
money. Go and try them out.

If a Makita is slightly more expensive then it is worth going for. If it

is
twice the price for a semi-pro/DIY use, then it is worth assessing other
models.

It really depends on use and what one is trying to achieve.