Harold & Susan Vordos

"Ron M." wrote in message
oups.com...
snip-----.

Second, the shavings/sparks can damage the fence and/or the motor
mechanism (bearings). There may be some truth here. The fence shouldn't
be a problem, and I can always cover it with something.

Likely not enough to protect from the accumulated swarf----especially the
shed abrasive, which will continue to do damage as it's abraded by objects
that come in contact with the saw----

Particles? Some
suggest removing the vacuum. How about attaching the nozzle of my shop
vac just behind the blade and letting it catch them?

I think that's an outstanding idea. Be sure to keep a fire extinguisher
real close, though. When was the last time you vacuumed a stream of hot
sparks and didn't end up with your vacuum cleaner, the one that is normally
filled with wood chips and dust, on fire?

Please give me a tip here, especially if you've actually done it, and
aren't just repeating what you've read or heard. And PLEASE don't tell
me to "go buy a chop saw"!!!

Thanks,
Ron M.

Sorry. "go buy a chop saw"!!!

It's not that your miter saw isn't capable of doing the work, it's that it
isn't capable of doing it without doing some damage to the saw. If you use
it long enough for metal, it won't be worth a damn for use on wood any
longer. Then you can buy a chop saw and a miter saw. Won't that be fun!

It all boils down to how much pride you have in your tools. If you don't
mind having them look like they've been abused, I can't see why you couldn't
get by with the occasional poor application.

Harold