IMM

Default M akita or RYOBI

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
(Phil) wrote:

Cordless drill upgrsde time. Have been using argos specials but after
a whole bathroom refit the trigger is gone (Still not bad for 15 quid)

The front runners are
Screwfix 9.6 v Makita
B n Q 12 volt RYOBI

Both £75.00, Both 1 hour 2 batterys
Which?

Ever considered Axminster? IIRC their 18V "White" combi drill with 2
NiMH batteries and a 90 minute charger is about the same price. If an
Argos Special has been doing ok for you so far, this might just be
enough of a jump in quality?

Instead of a White, try a Wickes drill. They are made by Kress.

Having said that, it isn't a Makita - I'm now on my third White.
Axminster have been great about replacing them so far, but since I use
this tool quite a lot in my work I'm beginning to wish I'd spent more
money on one of the higher-spec Maks. First one speed control failed
(trigger became on/off - kept this as a spare). Second one got hot, speed
control started failing (i.e. was intermittent) and then, even though I

was
nursing it by letting it rest between holes, it stopped altogether. We'll
see how the third one gets on.

And no, I wasn't using it beyond its spec. When the second one failed I
was using it to auger 20mm holes in wooden joists, and clearing out the
holes regularly.

Perhaps the Makita would be better ;-)

Most certainly they would. When it come to constant pro use these tools are
the business. for semi-pro and DIY, better alternatives on price/performance
are available.