Gary R. Lloyd

On 22 Dec 2004 10:03:38 -0800, wrote:

Greetings brothers ~

I have been searching for a while now on bleeding radiators...since the
bleeding I did last night seemed to cure about 75% of my insufficient
heat issue, I want to be sure I am doing it properly going forward.

Do you go from nearest to the boiler to farthest, or vice versa?
Somehow I would think farthest 1st...

Boiler should be running at normal operating temp when you bleed,
right?

Bleed at least a quart at each radiator? Less? More? How often when
a system shows trouble? (I am figuring a quart each, done every week
until the insufficient heat problem is gone?)

What about the expansion tank? Mine is a metal cylinder maybe 5 gallon
capacity, sitting just above the boiler. Should this thing be bled as
well? I understand they can sometimes become water-logged...

I hope that is comprehensive as far as what Q's come up for bleeding
FHW radiators so those that come searching can be helped.
Let's hear from the experts!

Thanks,

Bluesman

Unless you want a whole new set of problems, leave the expansion tank
alone.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
Written by a veteran Service Technician