Stormin Mormon

Now, this is an interesting subject. First, the actual temp isn't really 68
or 72, cause the actual zero is about -450, where the mollecules stop
jiggling.

Your furnace runs just enough to replace the heat that is lost to the
outside. If you lose some ammount of heat, the furnace replace it.

Heat loss depends on a couple things. Air loss (drafts) and conduction
through the walls, ceiling, etc.

If it's colder outside, the air leaking in is colder. And the delta T
(difference in temperatures from inside to outside) is higher.

Anyhow, if you turn your thermostat down it saves you money. Because the
delta T is lower. And also the air that leaks out isn't quite as hot (and
you didn't pay to heat it up hotter).

If you don't feel warm enough during the winter, get a humidifier.

--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

wrote in message
oups.com...
So for the past few years, I would keep the thero at 68 during the day
while I am at work, then to 70 when I am home.

With the increase in oil cost and more inefficiency in my heating
system (I am working on it), I am needing to put the thermo to 72
degrees when I am home to be comfortable.

Here is a formula:

Old way:

10 hours @ 68 degrees = 680
14 hours @ 70 degrees = 980

Total of hours x degrees = 1660

New way:

10 hours @ 65 degrees = 650
14 hours @ 72 degrees = 1008

Total of hours x degrees = 1658

Does heat work that way, or does it take more juice to get to 72
degrees instead of 70?
Feel free to tell my how foolish my heat calculation is.

Bluesman