Ken Grunke

mkazemi wrote:
Hello
I have a broken tap in a 1993 chevy lumina water pump housing. the
housing is aluminum but i dont know what grade it is. i am pretty sure
that the tap is cast iron but im not 100% sure. the tap is broken off
right at the base of the housing and i have tried cobalt drill bits and
they didnt work. the drill bits stated that they will work on armor
plate, but i gues they were wrong, being that they didnt work in
removing cast iron. I was wondering how i should remove the tap, would
a diomnd bit help or is there some chemical that i could use?

Taps are never cast iron, but would be carbon steel or HSS (High Speed
Steel).

Go to the auto parts store and see if they have tap extractors. They
have little steel fingers that poke into the tap's flutes so you can
turn them out.
Good luck!

Ken Grunke