Pete C.

Ignoramus29457 wrote:

Thanks for the tips. Congratulations on being still alive, and
presumably having all fingers, toes etc.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:47:50 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus29457 wrote:

This post is inspired by the discussion of "huge milling machines for
sale".

I find it that owning, minimally repairing or reselling various
moderately heavy machinery is fun and profitable. By heavy I mean
stuff under a ton, obviously not a lot by many people's standards, but
quite a bit for a homeowner like myself. Things such as generators and
compressors, that sort of thing.

So far, I used a chain hoist depicted he

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/ChainHoist

and various wooden platforms on casters. I have a nice concrete
garage, and a concrete walkway to the concrete patio in the yard. So,
this equipment can be moved. There is about 2" "step" at the garage
entrance. I am looking for practical, preferably non-powered,
suggestions and experiences how you people move heavy things about.

Thanks

My collection of rigging related equipment in no particular order:

4,000# Engine hoist
3,000# Yale stand-up riding electric forklift
5,000# Pallet jack
7,000# Hi-Lift 48" mechanical jack
4t Porta-power hydraulic kit
4,000# 20' lift manual chain hoist
Assorted lifting slings (proper rated ones)
A pile of 5/16 "System 7" chains with grab hooks, 5,400# SWL
Assorted 2x and 4x cribbing material
A quality rubber padded moving dolly ~800# cap.

Oh yea, and a Deere 500C back hoe, 5,000# on the loader bucket and
2,000# on the back hoe boom.

This list may sound expensive, but with the exception of the back hoe
each item was $300 or less.

The big safety rules are (all equally important):

- Don't lift the load any higher than necessary
- Don't get between the load and the ground OR anything it could shift
or tip against
- If something starts to slip RUN THE OTHER WAY! Do not ever attempt to
catch it
- Watch the CG of the load
- Be sure of your lift points
- Use quality chains and/or slings for lifting (cargo straps are good
for stabilizing, not lifting)
- Inspect all equipment before use, particularly web slings which are
prone to cuts

So far I haven't found anything I couldn't move and I'm also still alive

Pete C.

--

Yep, all still there. Amazingly enough I haven't broken anything yet
either. Plenty of bumps and bruised (and scrapes, cuts, etc), but

Pete C.