John Durham

Default M akita or RYOBI

Makita win on all counts. I have used Makita for over 20 years with very
little need for service or repairs. If required parts are easily available
for Makita - for example I managed to damage the plastic guard on my
compound sliding mitre saw and they replaced it and a few other bits (like
springs etc for around 10 quid).

My memory of ryobi from Costco (which is a great place to shop) is that
although Costcos after sales is great (i.e. no questions refund when needed)
that Ryobi were less helpful.

My advice would be to buy the Makita 8443D Drill Driver/Hammer - and the
hammer really works for anything up to brick with ease. It is not big and
runs for ages. It is expensive but I can point you towards a Travis Perkins
(of all places) that will supply at around half the RRP including the vat.

Hope this helps.

John

"Phil" wrote in message
m...
Cordless drill upgrsde time. Have been using argos specials but after
a whole bathroom refit the trigger is gone (Still not bad for 15 quid)

The front runners are
Screwfix 9.6 v Makita
B n Q 12 volt RYOBI

Both £75.00, Both 1 hour 2 batterys
Which?

Ryobi seems to be B n Q only (cannot find it on net anywhere else)
Ryobi has 2 year warranty MAK has 1
Ryobi has built in spirit levels which look kind of fun BUT do they
actually work.
Also MAKTEC is turning up on EBAY quite a lot.

http://tinyurl.com/3ds4z

What is this (ignoring the puff which states that they have the same
quality) Is this worth considering?
MAKITAs website is curiously quiet about this.
Basically is a 75 quid MAK better than a 75 quid 12 V RYOBI?

Usage Advanced DIY + occasional trunking job CAT5

Cheers Phil