Larry Jaques

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:17:42 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:19:48 -0800, Larry Jaques

That's right, folks. To lube a squeaky hinge in someone else's Oregon
home (for pay) requires a full contractor's license. Price: About
$1,000. (License $295 for 2 years or $590 for 4 years, a couple
hundred for the bond, and about $500 for insurance. Add several weeks'
time for studying, getting licensed, etc.)

How many actual handymen go through this process?

Quite a few, it seems. I see half a dozen ads in the local paper
for them, all licensed. And the local paper is who clued me in.
I was asked for a license number and when I couldn't produce one,
they said they couldn't run the ad. I was floored even more when
I checked out the actual requirements and came up with that figure.

Murphy was an Optimist