Guido

Ed Huntress wrote:

I didn't look it up, but he may be talking about a zoning/taxation
regulation, like we have here in NJ and some other states. Ag land is taxed
at a very low rate. Once it's designated agricultural, and you claim
agricultural tax rates for it, you can't run some other kind of business
there, which would carry a much higher tax rate.

Or maybe that's not it. That would be it if he were talking about my state.

Same here in the UK. Agricultural land is exempt from all
sorts of taxation so long as it is used for "agriculural use
only". The effective word is ONLY, which means that it is
used for no activity whatsoever that isn't agriculrtural.
Even a slight secondary usage, say on one day a year, will
lose its exemption status.