Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

With the increase in oil cost and more inefficiency in my heating
system (I am working on it), I am needing to put the thermo to 72
degrees when I am home to be comfortable.

Setting the thermostat and actual temperature are different things. Why do
you have to set it higher to feel the same? The thermostat is a switch. The
heater is either off or on. If it is running and brings the heat high
enough to trip the switch, that is what counts. Other factors are at work
here. It may be easier to fix that problem.

Here is a formula:

Does heat work that way, or does it take more juice to get to 72
degrees instead of 70?

Yes, you have the right idea. That is similar to the "degree days" the oil
companies use to determine when to deliver to you. IIRC, they use the
differential between actual temperature and 60 degrees.

Feel free to tell my how foolish my heat calculation is.

You have to think about temperature differential. The greater the
differential, the greater the loss.

You can increase comfort by adding a humidifier, cutting down drafts that
create heat loss, add insulation. If it has been a long time since you've
done any of that, do a quick review to see if there have been any changes.
Ed