Mike Marlow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Because about 90% of extension cords out there are insufficient
for use with a major power tool, you're asking for trouble telling
people to use them. People tend to save money and an extension cord
is the WRONG place to save it. Most are 18ga, some as heavy as 16,
but VERY few are heavy guage wire. Those that do use it are usually
found only in contractor sales areas or high-end shops and at 5 times
the price of a homeowner cord. Most folks won't buy them.

But that's your call, Mike. My general advice is "DON'T USE ONE!"
unless I'm talking to someone who knows what voltage drops can mean
and they have a contractor-grade cord. Fried motors are no fun and
I won't be a party to someone frying theirs, thanks.

5 years ago I would have come close to agreeing with you Larry - except that
I'd have said "don't buy one, build one" in order to get a good heavy cord.
But today, that's completely different. 10 and 12 gauge cords are commonly
available from Wal Mart, Home Depot and every place that sells cords, and
they're priced right down with what people always paid for junk 18 gauge
cords. Check out the prices of 10 and 12 gauge cords next time you're out
and about. They aren't even double the cheap things, let alone 5 times.
Voltage drop across a 10 or 20 foot cord is something you'd have to look at
as well. I don't know off the top of my head what it is, but that's a very
short distance and I'm not so sure there's such a big issue at hand. On
that point, I could be wrong, but it just does not seem there should be.

I prefer to give advice that is appropriate. I'd suggest a fellow use a 10
or a 12 gauge cord. That, IMHO is a lot better advice than "don't do it".
It can be better advice than to hardwire, especially in situations like I
suggested in my reply. Which - by the way, you didn't address.
--

-Mike-