Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/19/2004 5:58 PM MUADIBŪ wrote:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:20:48 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et wrote:

On 12/19/2004 10:36 AM MUADIBŪ wrote:

(...something disparaging my manly home handyman skills.)

Etc., etc.

Muadib -- great to run into you, Chris Perdue, and Speedy Jim over in
this NG!

Just giving you a hard time, Mike. I haven't built any cabinets in my
bathroom, so i don;t truely have room to talk.

I thought it interesting to see you here also.

You'll find John Willis here too. as on *the other* group.....

Sounds to me like you're making a go of it in a difficult situation
too. Good luck.

This bathroom has been a total trip. The previous owner had the walls
papered in a desperately repulsive floral print. The light above the
sink was about 10'' off-center. Why? There was carpeting on the floor.
Who puts carpeting on a floor around a toilet that men pee into? In
addition, the wallpaper had been hung upside-down. Before stripping the
wallpaper, a large "floating" mirror needed to be removed first. After
taping it packing tape to protect myself from shrapnel I pounded on it
with a big rubber mallet. The thing broke loose in one piece. I caught
it and lowered it to the floor. It had been affixed to the wall with
blobs of construction adhesive, which pulled big divots out of the
plaster. And there was a gaping hole in the wall, under the light
fixture, where a medicine cabinet had once been. Now I had a medicine
cabinet opening and a light fixture in the wall, 10'' off-center above
the sink. The sink was mounted on a vanity with a tiled top, attached to
tile on the wall. There is no moving this sink without busting up the
tile. The plumbing under the sink showed that there would have
originally been an older sink, directly under the cabinet and light
fixture. So I've been tearing out studs and moving light fixtures and
building a new cabinet in the wall. Pulling up the carpeting revealed
vinyl flooring in a /lovely/ 70's "earth colors" pattern. The room's a
mess right now, but it's going back together bit-by-bit.
--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus