Mark Wells

Thanks for everybody's feedback. I went to the BORG and checked out the
electrical supplies. Comparing apples-to-apples the best I could, making my
own 12 gauge extension cords from supplies at the BORG ($0.89/ft + $4/end)
versus buying pre-made from McMaster-Carr ($15 for thermopastic case with
lighted end) is roughly the same, so I'm just going to order pre-made ones.
The BORG does sell 25 foot, 12 gauge extension cords, but I want to stick
with 10 footers.

I also checked the machines themselves. The power cord to the two 1 HP
machines (Jet) is only 16 gauge wire, so I can definitely see the reasoning
behind replacing the entire cord. I'm still trying to figure out the best
way to get my shop arranged, so I think extension cords are a better option
at this point. However, I may do the pig tails. One reason I like that
idea is that it keeps the male plug off the ground where it can get stepped
on.

On the dust collector, I don't think it actually draws 18 amps. The Penn
State site says "Reflects capacity of motor - running amperage will be
significantly less." A friend of mine started a company that, among other
things, makes an inline tool to monitor volts, amps, power quality, etc.
(http://www.wxdux.com/eggdetails.shtml). I keep meaning to get him to come
over and actually see what each tool draws. If I ever get around to that,
I'll post the results.

Mark

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Larry Jaques responds:
in and out of parking places. Extension cords are much more versatile
for
that than hardwired cords.

Properly made extension cords are every bit as
good as a hardwired configuration and for us that have to deal with
moving
and storing, they're better.

Because about 90% of extension cords out there are insufficient
for use with a major power tool, you're asking for trouble telling
people to use them. People tend to save money and an extension cord
is the WRONG place to save it. Most are 18ga, some as heavy as 16,
but VERY few are heavy guage wire. Those that do use it are usually
found only in contractor sales areas or high-end shops and at 5 times
the price of a homeowner cord. Most folks won't buy them.

If you read the early answers here, I think you'll find that the emphasis
was
on proper sizing for the tool. No one that I saw recommended the kind of
light
duty lamp cord extensions you seem to be afraid of.

Top quality extension cords are available in HD and Lowe's and in most
hardware
stores, not just contractors' stores. The prices are about five times what
lamp extension costs, but so what? We're not writing of lamps here, nor do
feel someone who knows a tool is going to be stupid enough to add an 18
gauge
extension to a 120 volt 18 ampere table or other saw.

Give most woodworkers a bit of credit for a gram or two of common sense
when it
comes to electrical cords. Sure, there are idiots out there, in plenty,
but you
can't limit everyone to the slowest person in the overall category. We're
no
longer in school.

Charlie Self
"It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable."
Eric
Hoffer