Jerry Built

Default Mysterious Broken Inner Double Glazed Pane

Dean Jarratt wrote:
This morning...about 3:30AM I heard a strange noise (loud enough to wake
me up).... [ ] I got up to investigate...and [] noticed that the small
double glazed window in the front door was cracked quite badly (multiple
cracks, almost on the point of being smashed). []
Is it possible for the sub-zero temperates to filter through an outer pane
of double glazing and smash the inner pane? Would it be possible if the
outer pane was old and/or unnoticable damaged?

The only time I've heard of this happening it turned out that a plate
fell of a wall hanging and bounced down the stairs, hitting the pane
and breaking it. If it's a small pane, it's unlikely to be a thermal
effect - consider the temperature differential, it's tiny. Where in
the door is the glazing panel? What is the door made of?

J.B.