Bubba

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:06:26 +0000, tripntx
wrote:

Can somebody please tell me which component is "the one that is failing
but not completly failed yet"?

Which component will allow power to be sent to the gas valve to soon?
It seems simple, control board, but I would hate to spend $250 for the
component only to find out another component was causing the problem.
Yes Bubba, I know, that's what techinicians are for.

Since it's working at the moment, I can't troubleshoot with a
multimeter. So which is the most likely culprit?

BTW, what is wrong with keeping inexpensive parts, such relays and
capacitors around? System stops working, install the most likely
component, and then call for service if it is still messed up.
Compressor fan slows, change the capacitor, blower fan quites, change
the capacitor, it's just too easy and cheap not to do so.

Bubba, If a light bulb goes out, do you change it first or call an
electrician? If your faucet starts leaking, do replace cartridge and
orings or do call a plumber? If you want a new plant in your yard, do
you call a landscape company or do you plant it yourself? If your
computer locks up, do you call Microsoft to come fix it, or do you
press control alt delete? If your DVD drive quits after warranty, do
you send your computer back to have it replaced by manufacture, or do
you order a new drive on the net and install it yourself? If your check
engine light turns on, do take your vehicle to the dealer or do you
drive to the nearest autoparts store where they will connect a scanner
which tells you the fault? If a squealing sound starts radiating from
under your hood, do you replace the belt and check pulleys/bearings, or
have a tow truck delivery your vehicle to the dealer?

tripntx,
Your missing the whole point. NO, NO ONE can tell you over the
internet proof positive what part to change without being there,
testing it and telling you which one it is. Especially when it is an
intermittent problem.
Secondly, if you want to keep what you think are inexpensive parts on
hand and change them out yourself, then by all means, knock yourself
out. You see, your delema is, "Do I change that expensive board or do
I not?" If its so damn easy, then you should be able to figure it out.
However, when we do it, we have to know. Thats why a service company
gets paid well for what they do. Because they are paid to know. If you
find a company that doesnt, then thats your problem. Finding the
cheapest hack aint the way to do it.
So you see, it boils down to this:
Right now, when its about 12 degrees outside this evening, my home is
very warm and comfortable.
Yours however probably wont be in the near future because you are
****ing around thinking you are saving yourself some money by dicking
with it yourself.
Wanna hear the call I just got an hour ago? Guy with no heat. I was
about 5 mins late getting back to him so he called the "Big Boys".
They wanted $160 just to show up. The service tech told him over the
phone that it was his motor and that he would have to change it. Damn,
thats a pretty good diagnosis over the phone for a motor that is
running just fine. I didnt have the heart to tell him that it was just
a wire or sequencer burning on his electric furnace. He told me he was
sorry that he didnt get me in time and that he would rather give me
the money because he knew I was honest. I told him, "hey, you gotta do
what you gotta do". Now, how much you want to bet that after this guy
rakes him over the coals, that I get a call to go there tomorrow?
So in plain English, Change whatever part/s that you want. Start at
the cheapest and work your way up or throw darts at a board and pick
which part you want. Pay to get it fixed right before you wind up
freezing your ass off or roll the dice and play your game.
Bubba
(sure is warm here)