Jeff Wisnia

Filipo wrote:
This problem has defied all explanation.

I have replaced both thermostats - the upper and the lower - with the
exact same model that the unit had - and the red button tripped again!
So by process of elimination, I have to replace the elements now. I
have no problem doing both but I've never done this before. Do I just
unscrew these things or do I have to drain the tank? Any instructions
would be appreciated. Thanks once again.

Is there ANY possibility that you might have miswired something when you
replaced the thermostats? Did you have or make an accurate diagram of
just which wire went to which terminal on the two thermostats before you
removed them?

I should have asked before, but is the "red button" you refer to
*really* on a high temperature overlimit thermostat. i.e. is it part of
the upper thermostat assembly or otherwise on something in thermal
contact with the tank shell?

I'm frustrated, 'cause I know that if I was on the scene with my
clamp-on ammeter/VOM I'd have been able to diagnose it much better.

BTW if you *are* going to change out the elements, and they are threaded
into bosses on the tank shell they'll have a large hex section on them
and you'd be well advised to pick up an "element socket wrench" to
unscrew them with unless you have a socket of the proper size already.
They usually don't like to come out if you go after them with a pair of
Channelock pliers or an adjustable wrench, and you can screw up a new
element trying to tighten it firmly without a socket wrench. Those
element socket wrenches are usually stocked right near the elements and
only cost a couple of bucks.

Good Luck,

Jeff

--