Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:55:49 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:38:21 GMT, "Mark Wells"
calmly ranted:

Here's what I was thinking
* dust collector - 10 gauge, 10 foot extension cord
* band saw - 12 gauge, 10 foot extension cord
* jointer - 12 gauge, 10 foot extension cord

Let me restate that: Don't put -extension- cords on those
machines, RECABLE them, wiring from the switch to the wall
with new, high-quality cable and a grounded male plug on
the end.

I have to disagree Larry. For a lot of us, our tools have to move around,
in and out of parking places. Extension cords are much more versatile for
that than hardwired cords.

Properly made extension cords are every bit as
good as a hardwired configuration and for us that have to deal with moving
and storing, they're better.

Because about 90% of extension cords out there are insufficient
for use with a major power tool, you're asking for trouble telling
people to use them. People tend to save money and an extension cord
is the WRONG place to save it. Most are 18ga, some as heavy as 16,
but VERY few are heavy guage wire. Those that do use it are usually
found only in contractor sales areas or high-end shops and at 5 times
the price of a homeowner cord. Most folks won't buy them.

But that's your call, Mike. My general advice is "DON'T USE ONE!"
unless I'm talking to someone who knows what voltage drops can mean
and they have a contractor-grade cord. Fried motors are no fun and
I won't be a party to someone frying theirs, thanks.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites