Larry Jaques

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:46:21 GMT, Gunner
calmly ranted:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:13:03 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Maybe re tien or khinh ai

Darn, I don't speak Vietnamese. Translation, please?
Google translates the Viet or Thai pages from simplified Chinese
into Chinese with half the text as question marks. Real good, folks.
Never mind. I found http://www.ksvn.com/cgi-bin/vietanh2.cgi
(BTW, Tahm doesn't translate.)

Tham (minus the punctuation marks...) means greedy or avaricious

ret tien or khinh ai means roughly..frugal and wise with his
money...or a cheap skate depending on slang G

We would have to download an additonal charector set to display the
punctuations...G

Working in Viet machine shops all week has some advantages, once I got
over the hair rising on the back of my neck issues for the first year
or so.

Yeah, I thought you might have a good Viet vocabulary working in
HelL.A. machine shops. Was the hair raised from memories of fighting
in Vietnam 30 years ago, abut the time I escaped it by the hair of
my chinny chin chin? (Moved from Phoenix back to Vista just after
turning 18 and drew a draft lottery number of 53. Luckily, the San
Diego draft board didn't need any more bodies. Whew!)

Tommy...he Numba One Giiii!!

Yeah, I'm just giving him some ribbing^H^H^H^H^H^H^hchit for the
bamboo/sap comment.

btw...one of the better online dictionaries for Vietnamese is
http://vdict.com/ I have to use it occasionally when my pocket guide
fails me, as my book is a little light on technical terms.
Fortunately. most of my little people speak pretty good english,
though the accents can be a bit tricky to understand. Particularly
if its the end of the day and they are playing cards and drinking Ba
mi Ba beer.

I used to work with a Viet gal (electronics test techs, both) at
Palomar Technology back in the late 80s. She was a lot of fun and
could make fun of her own accent. Every once in awhile, she'd ask
us guys if we wanted any penis. When our eyebrows went up, she
laughed and repronounced it "Pea Nuss". And we all went over with
our hands out for a handful of peanuts. Another of her favorites
was "I speak very English." I still laugh when I think about that
one. Lien (Lyn) was a great little lady.

Its been said repeatedly with great accuracy, that a group of happy
Viets sounds just like a flock of ducs....er...ducks...G

Did you ever eat at that L.A. restaurant, the Phat Phuc?

One other thing about the viet shops...there are usually ashtrays on
each machine. Non of that anti-smoking California crap in thos
shops..."555" or Marlbourgh cigarettes are the preference. And fancied
up Honda Civics in the parking lot....G

I can't -believe- all the money that's tossed into those little rice
burners. Amazing, to say the least.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites