BGBevill

This problem has defied all explanation.

I have replaced both thermostats - the upper and the lower - with the
exact same model that the unit had - and the red button tripped again!
So by process of elimination, I have to replace the elements now. I
have no problem doing both but I've never done this before. Do I just
unscrew these things or do I have to drain the tank? Any instructions
would be appreciated. Thanks once again.

Usually, stats sticking or being out of calibration will cause the red button
to trip. I am thinking that an element could cause it, but only under certain
circumstances. Anyway, to replace the elements, cut off the power to the tank
and the incoming water. It is possible to replace the elements without
draining the tank completely, but if you have never done it, I'd recommend
draining the tank. Once you have it drained, the elements either screw out or
are attached with 4 bolts on some models I have seen.

Keep in mind that the red button is a high limit and is a safety device. Do
not continue to experiment with a solution to this problem. Ever seen on the
news what is left of a house when the water heater blows?? Not very
much....think about it.

Bobby