Duane Bozarth

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott" wrote:

Squirrell,...............Why MDF??????????? Like building a car from
Foil..........Aluminum or tin, not important.........just in case that
comes up later.

You seem to put a lot of pride in workmanship and quality on the Bus.
Why not your home too?

I did a Bad Thing? An in-wall medicine cabinet with two dadoed shelves,
mounted flush, fastened between studs, with a hardboard back
urethane-glued and stapled on, the gaps between the cabinet and wall
filled and sanded, and the whole thing, including the wall, finished
with paint seems like a perfect application for 3/4'' x 6'' MDF. It's
dimensionally stable, inexpensive in pre-cut and pre-primered "shelf"
chunks, and pretty sturdy. I should-a used something else?

As you're discovering, the front hinge-mounting areas could have been
hardwood to avoid the present discussion...poplar, soft maple would work
well. If you could stand it, another way to solve you current dilemma
might be to mount a solid strip on the inside to hold the
hinge...slightly smaller opening, of course...