Gunner

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:13:03 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Maybe re tien or khinh ai

Darn, I don't speak Vietnamese. Translation, please?
Google translates the Viet or Thai pages from simplified Chinese
into Chinese with half the text as question marks. Real good, folks.
Never mind. I found http://www.ksvn.com/cgi-bin/vietanh2.cgi
(BTW, Tahm doesn't translate.)

Tham (minus the punctuation marks...) means greedy or avaricious

ret tien or khinh ai means roughly..frugal and wise with his
money...or a cheap skate depending on slang G

We would have to download an additonal charector set to display the
punctuations...G

Working in Viet machine shops all week has some advantages, once I got
over the hair rising on the back of my neck issues for the first year
or so.

Tommy...he Numba One Giiii!!

btw...one of the better online dictionaries for Vietnamese is
http://vdict.com/ I have to use it occasionally when my pocket guide
fails me, as my book is a little light on technical terms.
Fortunately. most of my little people speak pretty good english,
though the accents can be a bit tricky to understand. Particularly
if its the end of the day and they are playing cards and drinking Ba
mi Ba beer.

Its been said repeatedly with great accuracy, that a group of happy
Viets sounds just like a flock of ducs....er...ducks...G

One other thing about the viet shops...there are usually ashtrays on
each machine. Non of that anti-smoking California crap in thos
shops..."555" or Marlbourgh cigarettes are the preference. And fancied
up Honda Civics in the parking lot....G

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas