Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
oups.com...
The point is: My plumbing is not "flawed," it was done per code when
it was built.

I disagree. The reason I say this is that a few soap bubbles are causing
the drains in your home not to function as desired. While I may very well
have solved the issue the same way you did, the fact that problem came up is
indicative of a poorly designed waste system.

This suds problem occurred recently. While I thought
the problem was a drain or vent blockage - it turns out that we
recently switched to "Tide with fabric softner" about the time this
problem started happening.

So I have two choices, rip up everthing including the concrete floor
and replumb the drain waste lines -or- change detergents and have no
problems.

A no brainer if you ask me.

The purpose of my original post was to inform people that they should
try different soaps when trying to diagnose this problem. This is a
problem that comes up freuqntly on this board - and the answer is
always "your vent is clogged, a bird or animal probably died in it."

OK, so to an extent I agree with you. I will however point out that others
read this newsgroup to learn. Assume for instance that a person was going
to remodel and would be exposing the wall or otherwise had access to the
waste pipes that was convenient. Rather than allowing the condition to
exist the homeowner might consider adding better venting to allow the soap
bubbles to make their merry way into the sewer without making the trip via
their toilet.

Others might be building their dream house and might want to consider the
building code as only a minimum standard not an optimal one. For these
instances, they might very well consider your story when deciding that
taking a little more time to design the waste system or perhaps spring for a
few more feet of vent pipe.

I also think that if brand X soap does a better job of cleaning clothes than
brand Y, (I offer no opinion about the effectiveness of any particular
soap.) then that might also be a factor in consideration when faced with
soap in the toilet.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.