SQLit

"Aaron" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the advice. I think I will look into switching out the
panel. I worked as an electrical apprectice before graduating college.
It has been about 10 years and I don't feel comfortable disconnecting
a live panel. How do you get a panel turned off that does not have a
main switch? Will the city kill your power for a day?

Also when I was working I remember Square D panels being easier to work
on then other brands, so I am thinking getting Square D. Any opinions?

When I was doing residential change outs that were fed from over head I
would just cut the wires, hot, hot and then the messenger. I taped off the
hots and made sure that they were different lengths. I would tie off the
drop with an rope until I could get the new mast in place. Then using split
bolts I would re connect the drop to the new riser. Not exactly for the fait
of heart or to be done in a rain storm. Shingled roofs are not conductive.
You need to get a permit from the local folks. I was doing so many that I
was pulling 10 permits a week.

Do not know about your neck of the woods. But here if you ask for the power
to be shut off, there is no doubt that it will be off for at least 24 hours.
The utility will not restore power until the AHJ has signed off. Some times
48 hours for the clearance to get thought both parties. My customer were
not interested in that kind of service.

If your not comfortable with working live wires then get someone to do the
job. Panel up grades can have lots of "gotcha's" if your not aware of the
regs.
Biggest one I see around here is the 2 ground rods that are needed, unless
you have an ufer.

Your home your choice of panels. I would look about and see what I could
get the best deal on. Here in Phoenix the best place to buy residential
change outs used to be Evergreen hardware. They actually had a kit all set
up for a common installations.