Wanderer

Default Off peak electricity

Subject: Off peak electricity
From: Wanderer
Date: 01/03/04 15:50 GMT Standard Time

No. Older style two rate meters relied upon a local t/s.

Some older style systems relied on an electric clock to make the switch which
was fine until there was a power cut.

Err, yes, that's what I meant when I said a local t/s (timeswitch).
These had a 7 day spring reserve, so they were OK for normal supply
interruptions. 1987 was a bit of problem after the great hurricane!

On a completely unrelated subject it would be interesting to know what
percentage of electricity is stolen by various means.

Unless things have changed in the last few years, not as much as you
might be tempted to think.

And what different methods people use, bypassing the meter, impeding the disc
inside the meter turning, using some sort of phase shift device to make the
dial turn backwards and wiring into the street lamp or the nextdoor neigbour
house are all methods I have heard of.

Don't even think about it! I could certainly add one or two far more
ingenious means, but then, I spent a little bit of my working life
looking for it, and it is a criminal offence!