George E. Cawthon wrote:

Pump gas for cars has been colored since I was
little--yellow to red.

ISTR that Sohio gasoline in the 1970's was red, white, or blue
with 'white' being undyed unleaded, red was leaded regular and
blue was leaded premium.

What color would they put in farm gas? (or
maybe they didn't color it?) ... And why in
hell would you use bread instead of diatomaceous earth?

Possibly because bread was more common or maybe because diatomaceous
earth would not work? Isn't DE is a physical filtrate that
will not remove dissolved substances.

Are we
talking about the 1920s? 30s? I know it was not true in the 40s.
Maybe this coloring things has something to do with oil field areas a

burnable fraction was actually pumped (and stolen).

Probably the story was from WWII when gasoline was rationed.

--

FF