Charlie Self

Mark Wells asks:
I've read everything from "don't ever use extension cords with woodworking
machines" to "14 gauge, 50 ft cord is fine."

The dust collector says that its max draw is 18 amps. I can't find any
extension cord, no matter what gauge, that says it is rated for more than 15
amps. That seems odd to me since an extension cord doesn't seem
fundamentally different than Romex to me.

Here's what I was thinking
* dust collector - 10 gauge, 10 foot extension cord
* band saw - 12 gauge, 10 foot extension cord
* jointer - 12 gauge, 10 foot extension cord

I was going to get 10 gauge for all of them, but the 10 is twice as much as
the 12 and I'm not convinced I need the extra weight.

I really, really love the "don't use extension cords" types. The other choices
are direct wiring, or replacing machine cords with longer ones.

You're sizes are fine. AFAIK, ampacity of 12 gauge wire is sufficient for 20
amps, no matter which kind of cord you use, up to about 50'. It's in longer
lengths that voltage drops become a problem. Going with the #10 for the dust
collector is wise, because it allows for start-up surge.

Charlie Self
"Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." Eric Hoffer