Jody

Mark Wells wrote:
So I know I'm over-thinking, but this will give a chance for some of the
folks with electrical religion to let off some steam.

I have 3 machines that all need short (10 ft) extension cords:
* 1.5 HP dust collector
* 1 HP band saw
* 1 HP jointer
All run on 110 volts.

I've read everything from "don't ever use extension cords with woodworking
machines" to "14 gauge, 50 ft cord is fine."

The dust collector says that its max draw is 18 amps. I can't find any
extension cord, no matter what gauge, that says it is rated for more than 15
amps. That seems odd to me since an extension cord doesn't seem
fundamentally different than Romex to me.

Here's what I was thinking
* dust collector - 10 gauge, 10 foot extension cord
* band saw - 12 gauge, 10 foot extension cord
* jointer - 12 gauge, 10 foot extension cord

I was going to get 10 gauge for all of them, but the 10 is twice as much as
the 12 and I'm not convinced I need the extra weight.

Any thoughts?

Mark

10 is overkill for that short of run. Get some 12g so or soj and some
woodhead plugs and make your own. If you don't move your tools or put
them in the same general spot then wire right to the motor. You would
only need one plug per cord.