Baron

No problem but there are two issues you may want to consider.

1. Methyl hydrate (methanol or methyl alcohol) is significantly more toxic
than ethanol (ethyl hydrate?) or denatured alcohol. Be careful with the
fumes.

2. It has been reported that a shellac film made from a methanol solution
is slightly more brittle than that made from an ethanol solution. If this
is not a concern for your project, don't worry about it.

Good Luck.

"RKG" wrote in message
Most of the directions I have seen for shellac flakes call to dissolve
them in denatured alcohol. Is there a problem with using methyl
hydrate. It is certainly cheaper and easier to find around here. I've
tried it on some small stuff and don't see any difference immediately.

Rick