John, in MN

On 17 Dec 2004 15:04:23 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:
[snip]

Currently, we've got our heat pump set high enough that the gas furnace only
kicks on when it gets below 30 degs. F., here.

Thats interesting Charlie, up here in cold Minnesota heat pumps
usually switch off at about 10 degrees F . I'm fortunate enough to be
on a load shed plan from the power company and pay about 3 cents per
kwh for the heat pump. Never been shed in the winter that I'm aware
of. Maybe the efficiencies balance out different with your higher
power cost. Also have propane for alternate fuel.

--
John, in Minnesota