Allan Adler

(DoN. Nichols) writes:

I understand that an apprentice was first given one or two files,
and two pieces of steel. The task was to make a cube from one piece,
and a hole through the other piece to accept that cube in any
orientation, with no visible light around the cube as it passed through
the hole.

Neat. There is a book by Ehrenfeucht entitled, "The cube made interesting",
which includes 3-d glasses for the anaglyphs in it. One of them is a
picture of a cube 31 inches on a side being made to pass through a hole
in a cube 30 inches on a side.

I agree that you really *do* need to learn to use files and
other hand tools to make things [snip]
Your long-winded belittling of the suggestion make me wonder
about the amount of time I have spent answering your questions here.

I think you are assuming that I wasn't serious. That assumption is incorrect.

I know that I don't know much about metalwork, so I always leave open the
possibility, when someone says I need to learn something, that there
is a lot more to learn about it than might be apparent to me. So, I just
tried to be systematic about finding out what it was and how to learn
it, given that I was also going to have to teach it to myself. Now that
I've read the replies, I'm satisfied that I do know how to use a file.

Regarding the investment of your time and effort answering my questions,
both are greatly appreciated, as is all of the the help I've received
on this newsgroup.
--
Sincerely,
Allan Adler