Dave Liquorice

Default Cowboy wiring - grumble, grumble, grumble.

On 29 Feb 2004 01:12:50 -0800, Martin wrote:

1) Label it correctly!!

Yep.

2) Remove the cooker socket from the 40 amp breaker and check it!

Well as another bodge yes but the position of the outlet will mean
that it may well get used for a "full power" cooker at some future
date. It really ought to have it's own feed from the CU in suitable
cable and rated MCB. So should the shower.

3) Sort out the WC light, fan and garage onto a fused connection(s).
I want to put a fused connection in the garage anyway for other
reasons.

Be better if the garage sockets where RCD protected. Most likely place
to be using power tools or taking a fed out into the garden. Note:
that RCDs need thinking about if you have more than one, they should
not be connected in series without thinking.

4) Look into converting 16amp (presumed radial) wiring into a proper
circuit.

Yep.

5) Add the additional sockets required for the kitchen to the
downstairs ring as there isn't much on it at the moment. This would
include a fused connection for an electric fan oven.

Personally I'd go for a separate ring for the kitchen, it's where most
heavy domestic loads and 7kW is fairly easy to acheive. 3kW (fast
heat) kettle, washing machine heating water 2kW, tumble dryer drying
previous load 2kW or toaster or microwave or... doesn't leave you much
room for everything else downstairs.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail