George

Benzene is used to dehydrate and get higher percentage than the azeotropic
95/5.

If you want aliphatic only, makes sense to avoid benzene.

As there were no females, save nuns, (ok to date 'em, as long as you don't
get into the habit) at the school, we took our "jungle juice" on the road.
If the stuff hadn't been available, we would have distilled it on our own.

wrote in message
ups.com...

George wrote:
Reagent grade stuff is pretty pure, believe me.

wrote in message
ups.com...

George wrote:
The college students can steal the 95% from Organic lab, like we

did.

Unless it was spectrophotometric grade, which would be very

expensive,
the other 5% might have included benzene.

For that matter, there are denatured alcohols sold for rubbing

alcohol
and shellac thinner that are 95% ethanol.

When I was in college spectrophotometric grade was pretty pure
and therefor quite expensive. Reagent grade was contaminated with
benzene which was a non-issue because the benzene did not interfere
with typical organic chemistry class uses--which did not include
getting drunk.

That is what our professor told us. Maybe they just didn't want us
stealing the stuff. Or maybe your professors were social Darwinists...
--

FF