Larry Jaques

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:32:43 -0500, Bob G.
calmly ranted:

But I heat that building with a gas furnace (116000 BTU) that my son
converted to propane since I am nowhere close to a natural gas line...

Man, heavy-duty warming unit, eh?

As I type I see the tempature outside is 29 degrees (weather bug) the
thermostat (it is upstairs in the woodshop) in the garage shop is set
at 48 degrees... I know I can walk out ther now and set the temp to 70
and the shop will be heated up to 70 within a half hour..

Great!

GO GAS...... I keep a 55 gal drum behind the building for burning
scrap ... I gave up using a woodstove 30 years ago in my shop...
not because it was unsafe (it most likely was) but it took forever to
heat the shop up...but even more problematic I had to worry about the
stove long after I left the shop at night...

And you had to put up with the smoke, cleanings, fire tending, etc.
They're a lot of hassle and the warmth goes from chilly to melting
you in a period of 15 minutes. No fires for me any more except on
a campout or beach where ladies are present. They love 'em.

Lots of luck...
As another poster noted radiant heat in the floor would be absolutely
great...I spend way too many an evening laying under a car on cold
concrete floor .. And like another poster suggested I would have a

I've been using creepers since I was 18 and won't crawl around on the
ground again if there is -any- other choice. On gravel, one makes do
sometimes, but not on concrete or pavement. I'm on wheels every time.

wall either solid or made from a roll down tarp down the center of
your building to seperate the shop from the garage...both for heat and
dust...

No, I'd opt for a solid, insulated wall and a wide door separating the
wood half from the gasoline half. I don't want gas and oil fumes
stinking up my shop or the wood stored there, TYVM. Uh, uh!

One guy mentioned having to change filters several times a day, and
I bet
1) he didn't have a dust collector (or no .3u filters if so)
and
2) he used a -sander- a whole lot

if he had that much maintenance trouble.

--
"Most Folks Are As Happy As They Make Up Their Minds To Be"
-Abraham Lincoln