Kalico

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:27:31 +0000, Jake
wrote:

Hi All,

I know there are FAQs and questions about sanding/treating floors are
indeed frequently asked. But I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all
answer to these problems.

Here's my scenario: I've laid some reclaimed pitch pine parquet blocks
in a room. You can read all about it and see the photos on my blog:
http://jake.typepad.com/house/

Anyway, this weekend I want to sand and treat it. It's the treating bit
I am confused about. From what I've read on here I think Bourne Seal may
be the way to go. Can anybody back this up? Or offer a better suggestion.

What I don't want to do is just slap some cheapo quick-drying Wickes
floor varnish down. I want to be "sympathetic" to the wood and produce a
long-lasting, durable and most importantly natural-looking finish.

If Bourne Seal is the best then where do I get it? Is it "Bourne Seal"
of "Bourneseal" and who makes it?

Googling for "Bourne Seal" I only find one or two distibutors. I'd
prefer to actually go and buy it from an outlet so I know I've got it by
the weekend.

Another idea was to use Yacht Varnish. Any thoughts?

Jake Howlett
DIYer

I have had excellent results with OsColor (correct spelling) Hardwax
Oil. I think it has been re-named recently due to a copyright
infringement but any good decorators merchants can source it.

It's from Germany and not cheap but it is good. A mix of natural oils
and waxes and I have yet to speak to anyone who has a bad thing to say
about it.

Some details are here http://www.ecowise.com/green/paint/oscolor.shtml

HTH
Rob