J. Clarke

sandman wrote:

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
m...
I am considering running natural gas out to the garage and can use
that
or I was thinking of istalling a woodburning stove. I like the second
idea (great way to get rid of scrap).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Rick

If it is an attached garage, the wood burner (or any solid fuel heater)
is
against national fire code. On a detached garage, it is just not a good
idea and still may be against code. Go with the gas, put the scraps in
the fireplace.

Open flame heat of any kind in a woodworking shop is IMHO, not a good
idea. The right wood dust/air combo can be explosive,

While this is true, it's difficult to get that particular dust/air ratio
inside your dust collector, let alone in the shop in general. You'd pretty
much have to set out deliberately to do it. A spark popping into a
dustpile on the floor is more likely to be a problem.

as can the vapours
from solvents be hazardous.

A more significant concern.

Code in my area dictates that even a natural
gas heater/furnace must be in a room isolated from the work area. The
air it needs for combustion has to come in from outside.
An friend of mine tried the wood stove. He always ran out of scraps.
He would come by and be eyeing my shipping pallets.
Ask yourself if you will have enough scraps.
Particle board and MDF don't burn very well.
I hope to build a proper shop in the near future. As Knothead suggested,
I hope to be able to afford in- floor heating (under a wooden floor on
top of concrete), water, heated with natural gas, one of those really
cool pulsing mini boilers (switchable to propane). Then hang either
pre-made Delta or shop-made air-circulating filtration unit, which will
also bring the heat down from the ceiling.
My previous shop had forced air, 85000 BTU blowing **** everywhere.
Cleaning filters 3- sometimes 5 times per day. Every time that Bad Boy
would start, my wallet would have a spasm.
Electric heat is clean but costly.
And make sure you have a way to keep up the humidity. Heated winter air
is dryer than a popcorn fart, and will twist your lumber into pretzels.
Besides, air with some moisture feels warmer than it is.

my 2 cents

Rob

"Common sense is not common"
Voltaire