Rick

Bob G. wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:17:24 GMT, Rick wrote:

My wife and I bought a house last year and are planning on building a
new garage. I figure a 24' x 24' size is close to the basic 2.5 car.
Fortunately I am blessed with being married to a wonderful woman that is
OK with the idea of building a garage 2x the above size 48'x24' with the
2nd 24'x24' area to be my shop. I live in the cold winter state of
Wisconsin and am looking for a decent garage heater that would work
great. I am considering running natural gas out to the garage and can
use that or I was thinking of istalling a woodburning stove. I like the
second idea (great way to get rid of scrap).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Rick

===================================

I play with... and restore... cars as a hobby in addition to creating
a lot of sawdust...

A 24x24 building is honestly barely large enough for 2 cars

That said...

I have 2 garages a 24x40 which I normally do not heat but with 2 4
post lifts so I can park cars on top of one another and a single 2
post lift so I can work on the cars...

The second is a 24x24 2 story building that I have to use to store 2
cars ...so my woodshop is very inconviently on the second floor..(ya
gotta do what ya gotta do)

But I heat that building with a gas furnace (116000 BTU) that my son
converted to propane since I am nowhere close to a natural gas line...

As I type I see the tempature outside is 29 degrees (weather bug) the
thermostat (it is upstairs in the woodshop) in the garage shop is set
at 48 degrees... I know I can walk out ther now and set the temp to 70
and the shop will be heated up to 70 within a half hour..

GO GAS...... I keep a 55 gal drum behind the building for burning
scrap ... I gave up using a woodstove 30 years ago in my shop...
not because it was unsafe (it most likely was) but it took forever to
heat the shop up...but even more problematic I had to worry about the
stove long after I left the shop at night...

Lots of luck...
As another poster noted radiant heat in the floor would be absolutely
great...I spend way too many an evening laying under a car on cold
concrete floor .. And like another poster suggested I would have a
wall either solid or made from a roll down tarp down the center of
your building to seperate the shop from the garage...both for heat and
dust...

Bob Griffiths

2 garages, nice. Unfortunately, I live within city limits (Waukesha,
WI) and am limited to a max of 20% of my back yard for maximum size. I
currently have a 1 car detached garage which will have to be torn down
to allow for the 24x48 one I want to build. If and when I finally
retire (30 years down the road) I would like to move out to the country
and build a pole barn for a shop, but that is way down the line. As for
the 2 story garage, I thought about that but the city code wont allow a
detached garage be higher than 15'.

After reading the replies, I am going to go with gas and let the kids
burn the scrap in the portable outdoor fireplace when they want to have
campfires. However I do turn pens also so my scraps are going to be
very small when it comes to solid woods.

Rick