JMartin957

Allan Adler wrote:
(JMartin957) writes:

Instead of the more complicated milling machines you mentioned, you really
should consider buying an armstrong mill first. After you've learned to

use
it, you may find that you have no need for the Homer or the Harbor Freight

or
any of the other mills.

Who sells them? What do they normally cost?

I did a Google search for "armstrong mill" and "armstrong milling machine"
and found out that Armstrong is a very common name for people and cities
and companies in all areas of commerce, but nothing about the milling
machine. I then did a dejanews search for articles containing the exact
phrase "armstrong mill" that had appeared in rec.crafts.metalworking and
found exactly one thread ("Old Armstrong Mill - what to look for?") from
1995, which discussed what seemed to be an antique.

Probably a metaphor for using hand tools
such as a chisel, drill and files.

A file was just what I had in mind.

Buying a file, and learning how to use it, should come before any consideration
of a milling machine. Even a cheap one.

But that's just my opinion. Others may disagree.

John Martin