Robert Galloway

I think the main point of "mountain" dulcimer is to distinguish it from
a hammer dulcimer.

bob g.

J T wrote:

Wed, Dec 15, 2004, 1:31am (Silvan) tells
us:
Dad has one of these things, sni they're not terribly complicated.
snip How much do woods matter? snip

I made a dulcimer. Many moons back, when I was assignned to Disney
East. But I didn't call it a mountain dulcimer. That somds like
something made up by some city folk, something like farm table, or
harvest table, rather than just a table.

Mine was more an elongaed oval shape. A block of wood at each end,
slotted to hold the sides. 1/8" luan plywood for the body. Don't
recall what the other wood was. Did use frets, but only because I had
fret wire. The wires, were that, wire.

I think the Foxfire books have something on making dulcimers, been
a long time since I've looked at mine. I know they have something on
banjo making.

I doubt anyone would say much no matter what wood you used. I'm
sure the people that originally made them weren't too picky. Check some
of the instruments in the Smithsonian, if you ever get a chance. Been
too long since I was there, too. I betcha google images would have some
pictures.

Now that I think on it, might be something nice to make for the
grand-dau.

JOAT
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
- unknown