Silvan

Default anyone ever make a mountain dulcimer?

Dad has one of these things, made of walnut. I've played with it, but I
never thought much about it until I heard an interview with a group called
Laliya on the radio. Wow! A mountain dulcimer can sound like that?!

Ever since then, I've been gnawing on the idea that I'd like to have one of
those, and it would probably be a good first instrument project because
they're not terribly complicated.

For starters, I can just copy the one Dad has, which was made by some local
crafstman, not mass produced. Without taking it apart or damaging it
though, I can only guess at some things. Thickness of the top/bottom/sides
for starters. How the top/bottom/sides are all fitted together for another
thing. There's no banding at the joints. I don't have it in front of me,
but I'd say the top and bottom are glued or otherwise fastened directly to
the sides in a simple butt joint.

I guess all the tension is on the neck/fretboard, and it looks like you
could just about make a neck/fretboard as a free-standing piece, and it's
just glued to the box as an amplifier.

What about cutting out nifty little holes in the top? This one's maple leaf
holes are so crisp it looks laser cut, but this was made in the early '80s.
Probably not laser cut then, I don't imagine. I don't think I could get a
cut this sharp and clean on a scrollsaw, but maybe I haven't practiced with
the scrollsaw long enough. (Haven't used it much. It's sloooooow, and
I've found everything that isn't plywood breaks immediately, so it seems
one of the more pointless machines in my arsenal so far.)

What about fret wire? Is this just some standard item I can buy anywhere,
and do the many readily available instructions for installing frets on
guitars apply evenly to a mountain dulcimer?

I guess the biggest question of all is the bending. I've never bent diddly.
It almost looks to me like an hourglass dulcimer is a simple enough shape
that I could bend suitably thin wood to that shape without some steam
contraption. Is that unrealistic?

How much do woods matter? The original is all solid walnut except the
bottom, which I would guess is wormy chestnut salvaged from a barn or
something. I haven't seen a lot of chestnut, with it being extinct and
all, but I think that's what this is.

I guess I should take it to rec.music.makers or something, but I'd rather
just stay here.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Swingman

"Silvan" wrote in message

Dad has one of these things, made of walnut. I've played with it, but I
never thought much about it until I heard an interview with a group called
Laliya on the radio. Wow! A mountain dulcimer can sound like that?!

Ever since then, I've been gnawing on the idea that I'd like to have one

of
those, and it would probably be a good first instrument project because
they're not terribly complicated.

Never made one but recorded some of the best, including Lloyd Wright, who
won Winfield in 2000, and Don Pedi, one of the best known mountain dulcimer
players in the world. Lloyd's father Jerry, patriarch of the Wright Family,
a well known "old time" music group, showed me a couple he built on the
kitchen table, and he professes no skill whatsoever in woodworking.

I have a fairly recent woodworking magazine with step by step
plans/instructions for building one. I'll see if I can dig it up for you if
you're still interested.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"J T" wrote in message

I made a dulcimer. Many moons back, when I was assignned to Disney
East. But I didn't call it a mountain dulcimer. That somds like
something made up by some city folk, something like farm table, or
harvest table, rather than just a table.

They are truly known as "mountain" dulcimers, or sometimes regionally as
"Appalachian" or "lap" dulcimers.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

George

"Silvan" wrote in message
Dad has one of these things, made of walnut. I've played with it, but I
never thought much about it until I heard an interview with a group called
Laliya on the radio. Wow! A mountain dulcimer can sound like that?!

Ever since then, I've been gnawing on the idea that I'd like to have one

of
those, and it would probably be a good first instrument project because
they're not terribly complicated.

That's the essence of the instrument. It makes pleasant noise no matter how
it's made. The noise is from the strings, the "voice" from the box.

Foxfire is a good source. Reader's Digest folk art book has one, FWW has
had some, but they're woodworking tours-de-force rather than a home-made
instrument.

A number of kids at school made them from Foxfire, which is what I had on
hand. Wood for the sounding board had greater volume if it was coniferous,
though the holes were a big factor. Best -sounding was made from some
resawn spruce 2x8 from a barn of indeterminate age, though even eastern
white cedar sounded better than hardwoods like red oak (tinky brittle).
Tradition had them out of hardwood, though, so I imagine it's a personal
thing. Most beautiful was a face of burled cherry, though I tried to talk
them into quartersawn wood, mostly.

We used hobby shop brass for frets, though some also used simple brazing
rod. Key is the cutting/leveling. I believe the jig in FWW is a good a
place to look at that aspect. I rigged one for a Dremel with router base
that worked well for the rod frets.

The sound holes worked well with anything from overlapping Forstner holes to
fretsaw. I never set up a router template, but that would probably work
just fine.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:31:36 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

[...]

If you've never made an instrument before, you might want to consider
a dulcimer kit.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Dave in Fairfax

J T wrote:
I made a dulcimer. Many moons back, when I was assignned to Disney
East. But I didn't call it a mountain dulcimer. That somds like
something made up by some city folk, something like farm table, or
harvest table, rather than just a table.

That type gets called a few different things. The main thing is
to make difference between the ones that go on your lap and the
hammered dulcimers , kinda trapezoid shaped.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:56:34 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Wed, Dec 15, 2004, 1:31am
(Silvan) tells
us:
Dad has one of these things, sni they're not terribly complicated.
snip How much do woods matter? snip

I made a dulcimer. Many moons back, when I was assignned to Disney
East. But I didn't call it a mountain dulcimer. That somds like
something made up by some city folk, something like farm table, or
harvest table, rather than just a table.

Actually it's an important distinction. The mountain dulcimer is one
of two common types of the instrument. The other is the hammered
dulcimer, which is completely different.

Mine was more an elongaed oval shape.

That's another common variation on the shape.

A block of wood at each end,
slotted to hold the sides. 1/8" luan plywood for the body. Don't
recall what the other wood was. Did use frets, but only because I had
fret wire. The wires, were that, wire.

Frets are usually made with a special fret wire. It's shaped like a T
with a rounded top. The other side fits into slots sawed in the
fretboard.

If you want to build a dulcimer take a look at some of the kits out
there. Even if you don't build from a kit you can learn about
construction from the web sites.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Dul...imer_Kits.html
(these people have a reputation for quality kits)

http://www.acousticguitar.net/dulcimerkit.html
(A fancier dulcimer from a more expensive kit)

http://www.folkcraft.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=Kits

http://www.everythingdulcimer.com/li...p?action=howto
(A bunch of dulcimer links)

http://thelibrary.springfield.missou...weet/wi73j.htm
(A description of making a dulcimer)

http://hearth-fire.home.mindspring.com/
(pictures of a dulcimer being made)

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Silvan

Swingman wrote:

"J T" wrote in message

I made a dulcimer. Many moons back, when I was assignned to Disney
East. But I didn't call it a mountain dulcimer. That somds like
something made up by some city folk, something like farm table, or
harvest table, rather than just a table.

They are truly known as "mountain" dulcimers, or sometimes regionally as
"Appalachian" or "lap" dulcimers.

To distinguish them from real dulcimers, also known as "hammered dulcimers,"
which are an entirely different animal:

http://www.rtpnet.org/~hdweb/

The real dulcimer is a much older instrument, and it's #1 at the top of
things I would buy if I had a few thousand bucks to spare. Too complicated
to build. Especially as a first instrument project. Maybe eventually.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Blanchard

In article , george@least says...
That's the essence of the instrument. It makes pleasant noise no matter how
it's made. The noise is from the strings, the "voice" from the box.

Foxfire is a good source. Reader's Digest folk art book has one, FWW has
had some, but they're woodworking tours-de-force rather than a home-made
instrument.

I've got a book that I picked up at a library sale a few years ago.
It's called "How to Make and Play the Dulcimore" by Chet Hines. The
copyright is 1973.

I haven't made one yet so can't really say how good the book is, but it
looks pretty good. Roughly 100 pages on making, 50 on playing, and a
few patterns in the back. Take a look on ABE.

Richard Cline

Visit http://dulcimerden.net/
It has lots of pictures and information about dulcimers.

Dick
Silvan

J T wrote:

I've sean rectangular, sorta trapazoid, double, all sorts. Way I figure

Trapezoid. You're right. Good thought too. No bending. Good first try.

I wonder how a fretless would work. Just draw the fret locations but no
wires. They make fretless guitars and basses. Might be interesting, and
would solve a lot of complicated problems.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

J T wrote:

Yeah, I said I used fret wire. Fretless would have worked too.
But, I should have said the strings on mine were wire - thin wire,
worked great.

As opposed to what? Cat gut? I've never seen one that didn't have metal
strings, come to think of it. I figure I'll use D'Addario dulcimer strings
on it, and use tuners from my Washburn 12-string that is in extremely dire
need of a neck job and needs more work than the guitar is worth. Good
tuners.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Hank Gillette

In article ,
Silvan wrote:

Ever since then, I've been gnawing on the idea that I'd like to have one of
those, and it would probably be a good first instrument project because
they're not terribly complicated.

Have you seen
http://www.diynet.com/diy/hb_musical...,2033,DIY_1388
1_2944780,00.html?

--
Hank Gillette
George

I think that "mountain" is because it was a folk version which originated in
the Appalachian _mountains_ rather than the hammered version which is
closer to its zither roots, with maybe a bit of clavichord....

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
I think the main point of "mountain" dulcimer is to distinguish it from
a hammer dulcimer.

George

You can use any string material. Had one girl who made hers out of twisted
sheep intestine. The wood "bending" is really not much, if you're talking
the convex designs. Even the waisted variety is easily steamed.

You can actually string high and then experiment with fret placement, though
musical theory and generations of players have already worked it out for
you. Some kids needed the confirmation that only self-involvement gives,
and I was not going to discourage experimentation.

"Silvan" wrote in message
J T wrote:

Yeah, I said I used fret wire. Fretless would have worked too.
But, I should have said the strings on mine were wire - thin wire,
worked great.

As opposed to what? Cat gut? I've never seen one that didn't have metal
strings, come to think of it. I figure I'll use D'Addario dulcimer

strings
on it, and use tuners from my Washburn 12-string that is in extremely dire
need of a neck job and needs more work than the guitar is worth. Good
tuners.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Swingman

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message

I think the main point of "mountain" dulcimer is to distinguish it from
a hammer dulcimer.

I think that may be more true of the term "lap" dulcimer. A hammered
dulcimer is generally a fairly large instrument with its own stand.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04.

Check out this place:

http://www.folkcraft.com/
and go to the Dulcimer Builder's Supply page

You can get the wood you need - either in kits or rectangular pieces
palned to thickness.
You should DEFINATELY get a pre cut Fret board - the formula for the
measurements of the frets is pretty exact, and the boards come slotted
to accept fret wire

Give them a call (or email) and tell them what you want to do, -
they'll answer your questions and fix you up.

JD

Silvan

Hank Gillette wrote:
Have you seen
http://www.diynet.com/diy/hb_musical...,2033,DIY_1388
1_2944780,00.html?

I have now. Thanks.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Nothing like the feeling of taking wood and making it into a musical
instrument.

Silvan

U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles wrote:

Wasn't the old rule of thumb the "Rule of 17?"

The distance to the next fret is 1/17th the remaining distance down the
neck?

Dunno. Seems plausible.

Seems you could make slide-rule device with a logarithmic scale to
calculate that measure directly.

'Cept I'm one o' them newfangled whippersnappers and I don't have the
foggiest clue how to use a slide rule, or what a logarithmic is.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

"Larry" LVenickATcomcastDOTnet wrote:

Yes, it is. You could be the greatest Dulcimer builder in the world, and I
don't think anyone would notice how exact your Fret Slots were sawn, or
the fact that they were perfectly square (unless, of course, they weren't)

I'm not actually so much worried about square as getting them in just the
right spot.

Yes, they do. You can get it with the "6 1/2 Fret" in order to be fully
chromatic. (it's halfway between the 6th and 7th frets)
Without it, you'd be missing the "Ti" (as in Do-Ray-Me-Fa.......etc)

I don't think so, would I? I haven't paid that much attention to the scale
on Dad's, but I think it's a diatonic instrument. So it has a ti as well
as everything else in a normal major scale, but you can't play any
accidentals on it.

Anyway, so I seem to have one vote for "we'll still respect you in the
morning if you cheat on the frets." Do I hear a second?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

tzipple wrote:

Have you done a web search? Lots of books and other resources on this

I have since, and yes, I've got more resources than I can shake a stick at.

I also found and bought a book about making hammered dulcimers too. At a
grand to buy a decent one, it seems like maybe I ought to give it a crack
after all.

Heck, if I could make these things I might even sell one once in awhile.

Think I might try a bowed psaltry too. Been wanting one of those for years,
but too cheap to pay for one. Think SWMBO would let me have her hair to
make a bow?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:45:37 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

tzipple wrote:

Have you done a web search? Lots of books and other resources on this

I have since, and yes, I've got more resources than I can shake a stick at.

I also found and bought a book about making hammered dulcimers too. At a
grand to buy a decent one, it seems like maybe I ought to give it a crack
after all.

Heck, if I could make these things I might even sell one once in awhile.

Think I might try a bowed psaltry too. Been wanting one of those for years,
but too cheap to pay for one. Think SWMBO would let me have her hair to
make a bow?

She might consider it a very romantic gesture. And a psaltry is even
easier to make (and play) than a mountain dulcimer.

BTW: Do you know that the mountain dulcimer and the highland/Irish
bagpipes are the only instruments tuned in parallel 5ths? Explains why
"Amazing Grace" works so well on the pipes.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
Larry

"Silvan" wrote in message
"Larry" LVenickATcomcastDOTnet wrote:

Yes, it is. You could be the greatest Dulcimer builder in the world, and

don't think anyone would notice how exact your Fret Slots were sawn, or
the fact that they were perfectly square (unless, of course, they

weren't)

I'm not actually so much worried about square as getting them in just the
right spot.

Well.... if it's not square, then it's not in the right spot, is it?

Yes, they do. You can get it with the "6 1/2 Fret" in order to be

fully
chromatic. (it's halfway between the 6th and 7th frets)
Without it, you'd be missing the "Ti" (as in Do-Ray-Me-Fa.......etc)

I don't think so, would I? I haven't paid that much attention to the

scale
on Dad's, but I think it's a diatonic instrument. So it has a ti as well
as everything else in a normal major scale, but you can't play any
accidentals on it.

Anyway, so I seem to have one vote for "we'll still respect you in the
morning if you cheat on the frets." Do I hear a second?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

"Larry" LVenickATcomcastDOTnet wrote:

don't think anyone would notice how exact your Fret Slots were sawn, or
the fact that they were perfectly square (unless, of course, they

weren't)

I'm not actually so much worried about square as getting them in just the
right spot.

Well.... if it's not square, then it's not in the right spot, is it?

Huh? I could make lots of perfectly square cuts at random places down the
fretboard, and it wouldn't play music very well. Cutting perpendicular to
the length is easy. Placing the cuts in the right spots is another matter
entirely.