Sam

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All,

I know there are FAQs and questions about sanding/treating floors are
indeed frequently asked. But I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all
answer to these problems.

Here's my scenario: I've laid some reclaimed pitch pine parquet blocks in
a room. You can read all about it and see the photos on my blog:
http://jake.typepad.com/house/

Anyway, this weekend I want to sand and treat it. It's the treating bit I
am confused about. From what I've read on here I think Bourne Seal may be
the way to go. Can anybody back this up? Or offer a better suggestion.

What I don't want to do is just slap some cheapo quick-drying Wickes floor
varnish down. I want to be "sympathetic" to the wood and produce a
long-lasting, durable and most importantly natural-looking finish.

If Bourne Seal is the best then where do I get it? Is it "Bourne Seal" of
"Bourneseal" and who makes it?

Googling for "Bourne Seal" I only find one or two distibutors. I'd prefer
to actually go and buy it from an outlet so I know I've got it by the
weekend.

Another idea was to use Yacht Varnish. Any thoughts?

Jake Howlett
DIYer

"Bourne Seal" (TM I believe) is sold under the Cuprinol brand. A search on
"Bourne Seal Cuprinol" brings up some UK suppliers.

B&Q used to sell it (and were suprisingly cheapest for it round here!) but
IIRC the last time I looked there they didn't have it anymore, only Ronseal
products.

Bourne Seal is a lovely flooring finish for wood, really brings the colour
and character out which then develops over time. Not as hardwearing as
Acrylic finishes but they always look dull and plastic to me - might as well
have laminate IMHO.

Beware, don't buy "Quick Drying Bourne Seal" also by Cuprinol. It is either
acrylic or maybe Poly Urethane? Anyway it looks cr*p, Cuprinol are really
stupid using the name Bourne Seal for a such an inferior product.

HTH

Sam