Martin

Default Cowboy wiring - grumble, grumble, grumble.

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:13:21 +0000, chris French wrote:

All those sockets should be on a 32A ring.

They might be better, but not a case of 'should' really. Assuming
they come within the floor area recommendations (20 Sqm?)

I used "should" not "must"... If only because people expect sockets to
be on a 32A ring these days and thus expect to be able to load that
ring up to 7+kW... And if it is 20sqM then thats just about a single
room or do you mean a space 20m x 20m = 400m^2?

They don't look as if they are serving areas where they are likely
to be presenting a large load - assuming nothing like an 3 kW
electric fan heater is going to be often used.

The OP might not but future owners?

My only concern here is what size are we talking about with these
'thin' wires - the op has referred to thin wires as being used in
the lights the rings and the radial.

That bothered me a little bit as well.

Hi,

Sorry but I should of been more specific about the cables used.

Thin wire - looks like 2.5mm
Thick wire - looks errr....thicker. 4mm?? 6mm??

Perhaps my slightly revised plan of action should be ...

1) Label it correctly!!
2) Remove the cooker socket from the 40 amp breaker and check it!
3) Sort out the WC light, fan and garage onto a fused connection(s). I
want to put a fused connection in the garage anyway for other reasons.
4) Look into converting 16amp (presumed radial)
wiring into a proper circuit.
5) Add the additional sockets required for the kitchen to the
downstairs ring as there isn't much on it at the moment. This would
include a fused connection for an electric fan oven.

What do you reckon?