Dave Hinz

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:36:00 -0500, Hank Gillette wrote:
How do they help sell cars? They're required.

No they're not.

At least some sort of
passive restraint system is required,

Ah, there you go.

and I don't think anyone likes the
seat belts that wrap themselves around you automatically.

Hence, airbags help sell cars.

I'm not in favor of requiring safety equipment that hasn't been proven.

You're not? You seemed to be before.

Nor am I in favor of writing a requirement such that only one company
can supply it if there are alternative choices, whether it's SawStop or
Halliburton. I'm just saying that I don't think the SawStop people are
bad, based on what they've done so far.

They haven't done _****_ so far, but produce a demo that we've all seen
and promise that they're shipping "real soon now", while lobbying to have
their nonexistant vaporware made mandatory by law. I see this as a
pretty deep hole for them to dig out of before I'd consider buying
their non-product.