Roger Mills

Default Power planes

Huge wrote in message
I have a number(seven) of doors to fit, and since I hate planing things,
what's the assembled multitudes feeling on power planes?

(In particular the (doubtless sold out) one on special offer
from Screwfix)

Can't comment on the Screwfix offering, but I've got an old B&D plane which
works very well. Electric planes are particularly good on the end grain at
the top and bottom of the frame members.

When replacing internal doors I:
* make a careful note of the current fit - and particularly of any gaps -
before removing the old door
* lay the old door on top of the new one, and mark the size - making
allowance for any gaps noted previously
* hold the new door in a Workmate, and plane the edges down to the pencil
marks
* offer it up to the frame to make sure it is right
* mark the hinge and lock positions, using the old door as a template
* finally, fit the hinges and lock

Sorry if this is teaching my grandmother to suck eggs - I know it goes
beyond the original question - but *someone* might find it useful.

Roger