patrick conroy

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Are you claiming that you can brake better in bad conditions than ABS
can? Can you describe specifically what condition you believe this
to be true for?

Not to jump into the middle of this arg - but IIRC, one of the rags (C&D and
R&T) had some fun here. They had run across some Driving School where the
instruction was to "lock 'em up and lock 'em up hard." I think they brought
in some "semi-pro" drivers and tried to see who could stop shorter with the
most control. A pro who put the foot down to the limit of locking, or an
amature who just stomped on the pedal.

The conditions were dry - and the locked up brakes consistently stopped
shorter.

I had driven a lot of miles on ice and snow, and when my first vehicle with
ABS showed up, I spent several hours in a empty parking lot retraining my
foot to let the system do it's job.

It's still hard to get your head around "I can steer, I can still steer..."