Charles Spitzer

"Hank Gillette" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

My biggest problem with the SawStop folks is that they continue
to not sell something that they also want to force everyone to use,
while locking others out from making it. That and I'm not convinced
it'll work.

Is that what they actually done? My understanding is that they've tried
to license the technology, and no one was interested (the reason for
that could be a long topic in itself). That's hardly keeping others from
making it. Yes, the thing is patented up the wazoo, but I assume that
most people here believe in capitalism and the right of an inventor to
make money on an invention.

As far as forcing everyone to use it, they demonstrated that the
technology exists and asked for legislation to make such a safety device
be mandatory on table saws. Assuming that such a law was passed, it
seems reasonable that the manufacturers of table saws could find
alternate methods of accomplishing the same thing. If you remember, the
auto companies claimed that they could not raise gas mileage on their
vehicles until they were told that they had to.

Whether it works or not, only time will tell. If you've seen the videos,
they are very compelling. Going back to the auto industry, there were a
lot of doubters about air bags when they were first introduced, but
their reliability has been remarkably good, and there are a lot of
people walking around today who would be dead or crippled without them.

and a whole bunch of (usually) kids killed by them.

--
Hank Gillette