chris French

Default Cowboy wiring - grumble, grumble, grumble.

In message om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On 27 Feb 2004 14:37:23 -0800, Martin wrote:

For a start labelling is all to cock, easy enough to sort out...

1)
Labelled: Shower
Rating: 16 amp
1 thin wire going in.
Controls:
garage -one dbl socket, extractor fan, light in downstairs loo
(spurs off of spurs etc)
landing - one dbl socket
study - two dbl sockets
spare - one dbl socket
bedroom - three dbl sockets

This is rather odd.

A bit, but nothing that wrong with it.

All those sockets should be on a 32A ring.

They might be better, but not a case of 'should' really. Assuming they
come within the floor area recommendations (20 Sqm?)

They don't look as if they are serving areas where they are likely to be
presenting a large load - assuming nothing like an 3 kW electric fan
heater is going to be often used. My upstairs ring (as it is now) spent
about 18m months as a radial pending completion of the circuit. The
biggest load they regularly get is the vacuum cleaner I should think.

Though as someone else pointed out the fan and light should be on a
fused spur.

Though
a 16A radial is within the regs I think provided the cable is 2.5mm^2.

It could be probably be uprated to 20A.

snip
The spurs off spurs is suspicious and
needs to be corrected anyway.

Why? it's a radial circuit - it is effectively all spurs.

My only concern here is what size are we talking about with these 'thin'
wires - the op has referred to thin wires as being used in the lights
the rings and the radial.
--
Chris French, Leeds