Ian Middleton

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
Just bought two of these from Maplin. One I wanted for my computer and the
other I had the idea of using it for my TV. So when TV goes off, DVD,
video and STB go off as well. A pal of mine had a small house fire from a
TV left on standby.

The one for the computer works great. But I am unsure about whether to try
the other on the TV. The problem being that the master socket on the mains
panel is rated at only 5amps. The TV plug has a 13amp fuse and the power
consumption is 150watts. A 13amp fuse seems high to me but I don't
understand the relationship between power consumption and ampage.

I could just try it and see but I would like to understand it a bit more
first. Does the TV really need a 13amp fuse?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

I used on of these many years ago to turn on TV (acting as monitor) and disk
drive power supply for my BBC computer. Problem was TV did not like being
turned on by just applying power and kept on blowing its internal 3A fuse.
Fine if switched on via front switch but not by just applying mains. Ended
up using it on HiFi separates instead switch on pre-amp, turns on rest via
immediate switch on and ampflifier via a 5 second delayed switch on.
Eventually broke after a couple of years, consisted of relays and some
thryristers and other components (including coils), the thryristers being
blown.