Martin

Default Cowboy wiring - grumble, grumble, grumble.

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message ill.com...
On 27 Feb 2004 14:37:23 -0800, Martin wrote:

For a start labelling is all to cock, easy enough to sort out...

1)
Labelled: Shower
Rating: 16 amp
1 thin wire going in.
Controls:
garage -one dbl socket, extractor fan, light in downstairs loo
(spurs off of spurs etc)
landing - one dbl socket
study - two dbl sockets
spare - one dbl socket
bedroom - three dbl sockets

This is rather odd. All those sockets should be on a 32A ring. Though
a 16A radial is within the regs I think provided the cable is 2.5mm^2.
I take it you don't actually have an electrically heated shower. I
wonder if someone has broken the ring fitting those spurs. Time to
trace the wiring if you can. The spurs off spurs is suspicious and
needs to be corrected anyway.

2)
Labelled: Sockets
Rating: 32 amp
2 thin wires
Controls:
living room - 3 dbl sockets
kitchen - 2 dbl sockets

Seems OK. Downstairs ring main.

3)
Labelled: Sockets
Rating: 40 amps
1 thick wire
Controls:
Kitchen cooker socket (hob and oven are both gas - control
igniters only)
Shower

Wrong label. Should be "Cooker". Position 3 may be dubious, it is
recomended that heavy loads like cookers and showers are placed in the
CU as near to the main switch as possible.

4)
Labelled: lights
Rating: 6 amps
1 thin wire
Controls:
Upstairs lights

Seems OK, label could be better "Upstairs Lights".

5)
Labelled: lights
Rating: 6 amps
1 thin wire
Controls:
Downstairs lights

Seems OK, label could be better "Downtairs Lights".

Hi All,

A wealth of good advice as always!!

Just checked the shower and it is rated at 9.5KW so a 40amp breaker I
understand to be adequate.

Howzabout if do the following when I fit my kitchen?

1) Label it correctly!!
2) Remove the cooker socket from the 40 amp breaker and check it!
3) Sort out the WC light, fan and garage onto a fused connection(s).
4) Try to trace what is going on with the 16amp (presumed radial)
wiring and sort out if required.
4) Add the additional sockets required for the kitchen to the
downstairs ring as there isn't much on it at the moment. This would
include a new (13amp rated) electric fan oven. I've put in a ring main
for a kitchen in the past so the mechanics of it I'm fairly
comfortable with. I was tempted to put a seperate ring in for the
kitchen this time but the CU is approx 40 feet away and routing the
cable would involve chasing out walls (again!) and lifting the floor
in three seperate room and a landing. In this case as there are only 5
dbl sockets on the downstairs ring so would this be OK?

Incidentally, how would I earth bond the new stainless sink and
associated pipework? Incoming water main is plastic.

Many thanks,

Martin.